Friday, March 28, 2008

Home based business

Starting a home based business is a dream come true for many people. Imagine being your own boss, getting up for work whenever you want to, and being able to work in your pajamas every day! For thousands of people all over the country, this is the daily reality. Although starting your own business is difficult, nonetheless it is possible if you are willing to make certain sacrifices. I did it, and so can you.

I have wanted to start a craft business since I was about 14. I read about the idea in a crafts magazine. It told the story about a woman in the Midwest who had started her own bead business at home. She actually got to spend all day making ceramic beads while watching her favorite movies on the TV! When I told my mom about it, she told me that it was a scam. She said that craft businesses almost never worked out. We went to a few craft shows, and this seemed to be the pattern. Most of the crafts business people seemed to work very hard for almost nothing. I talked to a few of them, however, and found out some things about the business. Apparently, you can't support yourself on the craft business alone until you become very successful. When you first start out, you have to have a side project as well. Most people who own craft businesses work a day job.

Nonetheless, instead of discouraging me from starting a business, talking to these people encouraged me. Owning a craft business seemed like a good way to integrate my hobby and my livelihood. I would be willing to make a little bit less money if it meant that I got to spend my life doing what I love to!

When I got to college, I started a craft business in earnest. Although I was unable to dedicate all of my time to it – having to take classes – I was able to make a little bit of spending money off of it. A lot of the visiting tourists in the college town loved to buy locally made crafts, which suited me just fine. During the annual art fair, I made especially good sales – enough to pay for all of my Christmas presents that year. Although I have yet to become a full-time a craft business professional, I can definitely say that I have made a lot of progress since starting.